Wednesday, February 18, 2015

It's More Than Just #KimKardashiansButt

I will never forget that morning in the summer of 2012 when I sat listening to the highly respected teacher and author, Kelly Ghallagher, speak at the Longwood University Summer Literacy Institute. I was trying to soak up every word that he said, nodding my head profusely as he described some of the hardships and frustrations we experience as classroom teachers. I scribbled notes as quickly as I could all the while picturing how I would be incorporating his "Articles of the Week" into my fifth grade classroom. This man got it! He understood the struggles we face, from parents, to demanding state standards, to a student's home life that is out of our control, yet still our daily challenge, to reluctant readers and writers! He was one of us--a teacher! 

Then I heard four words that I was pretty I sure heard wrong until he said them a second time; "You should join Twitter!". Twitter?? What?? Was he serious?? Why?? So I could keep up with the latest Hollywood gossip? Or find out where my favorite food truck would be parked today? I scoffed to myself, but decided to hear him out. He went on to explain that he only follows academic people with the exception of actor Steve Martin and the Los Angeles Angels baseball team. Well, I trusted his educational wisdom and felt he wouldn't lead me astray, so I decided to give it a try and I haven't had a moment of regret. 

Now, I know what you're thinking, especially those of you who are anti-social media or self-proclaimed technophobes, "How could Twitter possibly enhance my life?" I felt the same way, but I couldn't have been more wrong. 

Twitter has opened up a whole new world for me and has become my very own Personal Learning Network. (Check out this website to learn more about PLNs.) It has allowed me to connect with educators, librarians, and educationally focused organizations from around the world all from the comfort of my couch or the line at the bank or my doctor's waiting room! Twitter has given me the opportunity to read articles, watch video clips, and visit websites that I most likely would not have had the time to otherwise seek out. It's like the world's most convenient professional development at my finger tips! 

Now, if we're being honest, I spent a good part of my first two years "lurking" on Twitter and not actually participating. It has only been just recently that I have started to "retweet", "favorite", or compose my own Tweets. I have also given myself permission, as Princess Elsa so wisely says to, "Let It Go!" I can't possibly read every post, click every link, or visit every site that comes across my Twitter feed each day. What I can do is pick it up when it's convenient, gather a few ideas to tumble around in my head, and put it back down. 

Not sure you're Twitter material? Here is a video about Twitter for Educators: 




I've gathered some other resources just in case you need a little more convincing. 

Wondering how you'll know who to "follow"? 
  • Check out this link for a list of 50 Great Educators to Follow on Twitter! 
  • Be sure you don't miss... @aasl  @VAASL   @SLMonthly  @jenniferlagarde  @colbysharp  @frankisibberson  @MrSchuReads  @donalynbooks  @KellyGToGo  
Heard the expression "hashtag" and wondered what it's all about or curious to know why the world has become infatuated with the #, formerly known as pound sign? If so, watch this....



I wonder how Mr. Gallagher would feel if he knew he dispensed what I would consider to be the best professional advice I've been given in a long time? 

Guess I could say.... #thankskellygallagher    #youwereright   #TwitterRocks

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the #hashtag video clip. I finally get it. I am definitely the "old" you, but your post makes me curious. I may try Twitter out this summer. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Twitter account, but I still don't use it as much as I guess I should and when I do I am definitely a lurker. I will say that I had fun using it during VaASL! I feel that I need to play around with it more after checking out your links. Thanks for blogging about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Melissa! I remember sitting in that same room, but you and I had only just met at that point...maybe one class together? Your links on Twitter and Hashtags are perfect for encouraging others to take a step into the shallow end of the pool. Choose a few people to follow and go from there! Then pick a conference that you can't attend and follow that hashtag to see what you can glean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous video clip on hashtags! I was on Twitter today retweeting something and kept wondering how to use the #! I couldn't for the life of me remember so I didn't add anything with it in my retweet. #YouRockMelissa!

    ReplyDelete